The Bell Chimes

Obesity

Andrea Mejia, Journalist

Obesity is a very common disorder in the United States, involving excessive body fat that increases one’s risk of developing health problems. There are more than 3 million cases of obesity per year. An even worse case of obesity is in children known as ‘‘childhood obesity,” when a child is significantly overweight for his or her age and height. Taking in more calories than the body burns can lead to obesity. The causes of obesity may include eating more food than your body can use, drinking too much alcohol, or not getting enough exercise.

One’s diet when young can strongly affect our eating habits as adults. Our eating habits over the years determine our eating habits when we’re adults. Many people claim that they don’t have enough time to plan and prepare healthy meals. However, many people today work desk jobs compared to on their feet jobs. In addition, people have busy jobs and fail to exercise.

Some solutions to obesity or ways to prevent obesity are by aiming for a healthy weight at an early age when you’re able to be more active. Another thing to do is maintain a healthy diet and balance your food intake. In order to lose weight one must eat more greens, exercise frequently, avoid sugary and artificial flavored drinks such as soda and juice. It’s important that one reaches and maintains a healthy weight because it’s vital to your overall health. Doing this will help you prevent and control many diseases and conditions. When someone is overweight or obese, they are at higher risk of developing serious health problems, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, gallstones, breathing problems, and certain cancers which is why it’s important that one makes changes in their lifestyle. It’s never too late to make healthier choices for a healthier life.