The Bell Chimes

“Where to Invade Next?”

Erika Aguayo, Journalist

On Friday we started watching a movie called “Where to Invade Next?” by Michael Moore, he is a American documentary filmmaker, activist and, author,  throughout this movie he traveled to different places. Comparing how different our systems in America are different oppose from other countries.

The way Norway’s prison system works is by isolating the inmates from their family just like our prison system. Expect in their system the inmates are living in a home like place, they wear normal clothes. It’s like they’re living our normal life but just are isolating for everyone and don’t have freedom. Not only is the system different but the way the officers think is aso different, they believe that the way you are supposed to punish an inmate is by talking to them. Which I honestly believe is the best way as well for the reason that words are more powerful. Norway has a 20% rate of people going back to their prison so obviously their technique is working.

Another place was France and their school food service system is way different from ours. Not only is the chef actually involved in what they will be eating but as well as their mayor. They have weekly meetings on what they will be making for the kids. Yes making because everything they serve is made by the chef and it’s appealing as well, as in it looks like restaurant food. They treat the children like they are actually in a restaurant and get the food taken to their seat. In France they treat lunch like if its an actual class, oppose from us we only have about 20 minutes of lunch and in France they have a whole hour.