Back to Our Roots

Would you attend Mexica New Year next year?

Kimberly Flores

Kimberly Guerra, Staff Writer

The sounds of drumming and conchero beads in time with every smack of the drum could be heard at Plaza de La Raza, Lincoln Park on the sunny, Saturday afternoon. The smell of sage, essential oils, and incenses saturated the entire Plaza; it could be smelled all the way from the entrance.

To educate young people about their native heritage, First Nation Syndicate and Concrete Jungle held a festival full of dancing, music, art, and speeches relating to indigenous culture at Plaza de La Raza on March 23, 2019.

The dance troupes, Danza Xipe Totec from Los Angeles and Yaocuauhtli Danza Cultural from Salinas California, collaborated with these producers with the purpose to celebrate Spring equinox. Mexican New Year celebrates, and educates the public about, the diverse culture of Tenochtitlan Mexico, hoping to create solidarity among people of color with native heritages. The event was absolutely free and family friendly.

Around 9PM there was a loud commotion and a lot of excitement buzzing throughout the Plaza. The American flag could be seen in flames. The burning of the flag was a demonstration meant to underline that the United States does not control people of color and natives. It symbolized that the flag and where natives live does not define their identity.

There was a lot of symbolism present other than the burning flag – there was a person dressed in ICE uniform burning money in a pig mask. This represented how some ICE workers, and other authoritative figures, are considered pigs for valuing corruption over the oppression that people of color still endure today.

“I don’t think there’s anything bad about it. it wasn’t showing any ignorance,” said Maria, a student at Bell High School who attended the event. “They were talking about how this state was possessed by colonizers and they burned the flag to show we didn’t cross the border, the border crossed us. It was to show the irony of it all. The burned flag showed how it does not represent  us.” 

“It’s a chance for students from Bell High and youth to learn more about their roots,” Maria added.