The student news site of Bell High School

April 25, 2019

Apple’s New Credit Card

High school students are young adults, we are expected to take responsibility for ourselves, including deciding how we handle our money. Many Bell students have or are looking for options other than cash. Some students might have debit cards; others, credit cards. For a long time these were the only two options available for young adults, but now there’s a third option.

Apple recently announced at their latest Apple event that they will be releasing their own version of a credit card this summer. The card has received many mixed reactions from consumers. Some say it’s a great idea and others believe it is not as good as it may seem.

Apple has many competitors when it comes to the banking field. Other credit companies have been at this much longer than Apple and therefore might be better. It is very tempting to side with new, seemingly better technology but will it truly be better than its competitors? The card is completely accessible from the users’ iPhone. Samsung is following suit, and may be on their way to making their own debit card. Unfortunately, Android users will not be able to take part in this new technology.  

The new Apple card offers three percent cashback on Apple purchases and offers two percent cash back on other purchases made with Apple pay. Moreover, the card offers a one percent cash back for any purchases made with the physical Apple card.

People who choose to go with Apple pay will also get daily cash back and rewards based on their usage. The money they get from this is directly put into the users Apple card and can be used anywhere, for any purchases.

Another thing that makes the Apple card appealing is that there are no fees. People who decide to go with Apple pay will not have to worry about monthly or annual fees.

Apple is also very proud to announce that their card has maximum security. The physical card has no numbers on it. Additionally, Apple does not track card purchases. Unlike other companies, Apple does not rely on customer data to gain a profit meaning they have no reason to sell consumer’s sensitive information to advertising companies.

1 Comment
  1. Kevin Lemus on May 17th, 2019 10:40 am

I feel like the Apple card is a very interesting concept that I know many will get behind. The amount of cashback rewards it gives you is awesome and it will also become very popular when it comes out I’m sure, rather than the doubts there are.

*

Which is Better?

Before choosing a card, you should do your own research to decide which is a better fit for you. Apple card may sound exciting but compared to other cards it has a long way to go. Here are some other cards that young adults might be interested in.

When you decide to get a card, make sure that you have a safe place to keep it like a wallet or purse. If you lose your card make sure you cancel it right away so that no one will steal your information and money. You can cancel your card by calling the number provided to you on the back of it so make sure that you take a photo of this number or save it to your phone. If not, calling the bank would also work. If you lose your card and need a new one it can take up to 10-15 business days. Most places, however, will offer you fast shipping for about $10.

There are other options for debit or credit cards than the ones listed, every student is encouraged to do their own research and find what best fits them, these banks are what is most convenient to Bell High Students because of their locations but it doesn’t mean that students are limited to these options.