The Bell Chimes

The Lesser of Two Evils

Isabel Silva

If you had to make a decision between being groped by President Trump or being raped by Mexicans, which would you choose?Why should we even take such a question into consideration? The host of the Fox News Channel Program, Judge Jeanine Pirro, an avid Trump supporter, made this statement on April 11, 2017:  “Every woman would rather get groped by Trump than raped by Mexicans.” Even though she deals with criminal investigations it does not give her the authority to speak on behalf of all women. What she implies is that we should choose from the lesser of two evils, indicating Trump groping women is less immoral than being raped by Mexicans. Pirro also stated, “And yes, I deliberately mentioned Mexicans because immigration reform is an important staple of Trump’s political agenda.” Pirro intentionally mentioned Mexicans because Latinos are the majority of immigrants to the U.S. Pirro also states that she, “does not want anything to do with them and Mexicans will continue to walk the streets of America, preying on their next victim.” Even though she makes offensive remarks, she does not think she is being racist.

Judge Pirro apparently believes everything is okay as long as Mexicans aren’t involved. “Our problem is not Donald Trump: he’s just a tool through which our culture becomes realized. Everywhere you look, a women is being objectified, whether it’s a lingerie commercial, burger ad, beer billboard, or these darn leggings. And what is Trump supposed to do in such a situation, deny his instincts? That would be a cruel thing to do.” Pirro expresses at first that everywhere you go you see women being objectified and seen as a commodity. However, she then goes on and questions why President Trump should have to resist his instincts. Clearly Pirro is promoting Trump’s behavior. Will our nation’s women continue to be promoted as a commodity? Nothing about sexist remarks should be tolerated, by Trump or by Pirro. Hopefully when many of us turn 18 by the 2018 elections, our nation will come to its senses and vote out all of the Republicans who currently say nothing about Trump’s racist and sexist remarks. Let’s make sure our voices are heard and not degraded, especially at the ballot box!