The Bell Chimes

King Kong + Godzilla

Isabel Silva, Student

King Kong + Godzilla

The gorillas in suits are being shady. King Kong Kim Jong-Un, dictator of North Korea, dared to insult the beast of the United States Trumpzilla, calling him a “destroyer” who “begged for nuclear war!” Kim also called Trump a “dotard,” a very old person. Trump of course did not take this lightly so within hours Trump responded with an indirect insult to Kim Jong-Un in a tweet on November 11th asking: “Why would Kim Jong-Un insult me calling me ‘old’ when I would NEVER call him ‘short and fat’? Oh well, I try to be his friend and maybe someday that will happen!” North Korea, furious by the remarks made about Kim Jong-Un, has criticized Trump through state media saying,“He is just a hideous criminal who deserves the death penalty and is a coward for canceling a visit to the inter-Korean border.” How far will these leader’s exchange of words escalate, and will it lead to World War 3? Anything is possible with these two lunatics!

What brought Kim Jong-Un to threaten the U.S. in the first place? The “legacy of the Korean War; in between the years 1950 and 1953 the war claimed the lives of millions of people and forever changed the Korean Peninsula. By the time the armistice was signed in 1953 North Korea had suffered an estimated 1.3 million civilian and military casualties including South Korea with 3 million civilians and 25,000 casualties (Berlinger, CNN).” Kim Jong-Un and his descendants are certainly seeking revenge for over 60 years. It is inevitable that the dictator of North Korea would consider nuclear war as one of his options, as does President Trump. In Asian countries there is a custom called “saving face” that requires one to respond to any negative comment. These two have been “saving face” for months now and diplomacy seems entirely remote.

Will these monstrous gorillas in suits persevere and provoke each other to save face again and again? Would we actually have to consider the big question? Is there a possibility of  World War 3? Is Trumpzilla leading the U.S. in the right direction? Things are escalating quickly and who knows what these two leaders have in store for us?