The Bell Chimes

Michael Moore’s Where to Invade Next

annonomyous, Journalist

Michael Moore is an American filmmaker, not to mention an author and activist. He has made several documentaries and films. A recent film that he made is Where to Invade Next. Moore features the different societies and laws of various countries to the U.S. The five countries included are ;Portugal, Norway, Tunisia, Iceland, and France.

In Portugal, there is a war on drugs but users aren’t arrested. Not only have they allowed the usage of drugs to be legal, but they also have eliminated the death penalty because it takes away human dignity.

The next country Moore visits is Norway, where there is “no cruel or unusual punishment. Prisoners have an easy and relaxed life while serving time. In fact, even the prisoners in maximum security have their own room plus a bathroom. They believe that strict punishment isn’t the way to rehabilitate people.

Moore then moves on to Tunisia. Tunisia is a small country located in North Africa where women play a huge role in government. Women overthrew the dictator in order to obtain more women’s rights including free medical care paid by the government and making abortion legal.

Another country that Moore visits has been ran by a majority of women as well;this country is Iceland. The fight for women’s rights began in 1975 when women went on strike. That day no bank, school, or store was open. The women of Iceland say that “nothing works if women don’t work.” Without women nothing will succeed. All of this led to a government and economy guided by women. Iceland prospered even more now that women are in control.

Michael Moore reveals that all of these countries initially took their great ideas from America. Michigan was the first state to ban the death penalty, after awhile Portugal enforced this law as its own as well. In the Constitution it says that “no cruel or unusual punishment should be given”,  but the U.S has failed to follow to carry out this right. On the other hand, Norway borrowed this idea from the Constitution and used it well if not better. The women’s rights movement began in the U.S but this had an effect in other countries as well. It inspired both Tunisia and Iceland to demand equal rights for women. Now there are many lessons the United States needs to learn from these countries.