The Bell Chimes

Sports Dilemma

Which sports are to remain as a sixth period elective for the next academic school year is still tentative. In February 2017, teachers voted to remain on a six period schedule. The seven period option would have allowed for sports to remain in students’ schedules as their last period and would have allowed electives to remain in their schedules as well.

Offering certain electives allows Bell High School to apply for grant money. Not offering all sports sixth period gives students room in their schedules to take the electives needed to receive grants. Some teachers have a conference period in which they do not instruct a class.  If sixth period sports remained, teachers would have to give up a conference period in order to teach the electives. Teaching an extra period is called an “auxiliary.” However, the school does not have enough money to pay these auxiliaries. Because auxiliaries cannot be paid to every teacher, some sports currently offered sixth period will have to be instructed after school.

Some teachers carry up to four sports in which they share equal liability to each team they are responsible for, even though walk-on coaches are responsible for the team after school.

There have been rumors as to which sports will stay, should they be allowed to stay. These sports include football, baseball, track and field, and swim. “As of right now, we don’t know if any sports are staying,” Athletic Director Mr. Santiago said. “The priorities are the electives.”

24 Comments

24 Responses to “Sports Dilemma”

1. Alan Juarez on June 21st, 2017 9:28 am

To me, my opinion is that sports should stay because many people in sports are doing good in their classes. Due to their sport many student like to keep their grade up to participate in the sport they love. So I think all sports should continue as sixth period. Many people have other priorities afterschool they have responsibilities to take of and many cannot stay afterschool. For Hours Track B

2. Juan Jose Hernandez on June 21st, 2017 4:15 pm

In my opinion sports should stay as 6th period because it helps them do good in their classes and get good grades and some like playing their favorite sports in 6th period. I think it should stay the same and nothing should change .
    Juan Jose Hernandez
    Track:A Grade 12
    Mr.janssen

3. Oscar Roman on June 22nd, 2017 10:27 am

In my opinion they should get the grant money and offer the electives in order for the school to get the grant money and the school can use the grant money to help update textbooks and give the students a chance of electives that were not offered for all track or not offered at all. Another reason the school should get the electives in order to receive the grant money would be that the school dose not have the money to offer the auxiliary pay that the teachers are going to need to cover the six period sports, and even then the school dose not have the money to pay all the teachers the auxiliary pay for them to work the extra period.

Oscar Roman
    12/A
    Mr.Janssen

4. Rigoberto Nieves on June 22nd, 2017 12:06 pm

In my opinion sports should remain in 6th period because a lot of students like to play sports and learn at the same time. Therefore it is perfect to have them learn periods 1-5 and 6th they play the sport that they love playing. Many students try even harder to keep their grades up because of sports and I think that is a good thing because it gives them more motivation to try. Students may not be able to stay after school but that is a responsibility that they have to face.

Rigoberto Nieves
    Track:C Grade:12
    Mr. Janssen for hours

5. Raul Lopez on June 22nd, 2017 1:41 pm

I feel like the schedule for athletes should remain the way it is. The reason is for is because many athletes are doing good with managing time and able to perform their best in their classes. To be part in a sport will give the students a better reason so they can get the best grade as possible so they can remain in the sport. My opinion I know there will be students who will not able to stay aftera school for a 7 period because they might have responsibilities after school.
    Mr. Jannsen detention hours

6. Ashley Desiderio on June 22nd, 2017 7:25 pm

It has come to my understanding that students who are in sports are motivated to sustain good grades, and attendance as well. Therefore 6th period should remain the way it currently is, it gives students who are in sports to look forward to something fun at the end of the day, And most importantly it is what they enjoy doing, if sports become a seventh period, the amount of students participating in sports would decrease. Because we are now young adults who carry on responsibilities just like an ordinary adult we might not be able to stay an extra amount of time after school.
    Ashley Desiderio
    12/B
    For hours

7. Bianca Solano on June 22nd, 2017 8:13 pm

I think the sports help students a lot. Its motivational for student athletes to do good in school. A lot of student already have the time to manage it properly between school and their sport. Also there has never been a problem with 6th period remaining a sport period.

Bianca Solano (12/M)
    detention hours

8. Nancy Robles on June 22nd, 2017 10:50 pm

In my opinion I feel like the schedule for athletes should remain as it is. It should remain like this because many athletes are already used to having it for 6th period rather than staying really late. I know sometimes they stay late, but if its moved to a 7th period then student may have to stay later than the usual and may affect their grades. Athletes are doing good managing their time with sports and classes with the schedule. Being in a sport motivates the students to pass all their classes, also some student may not be able to stay for 7th period because they may have other things to do. Therefore, sports should remain a 6th period.

9. Nancy Robles on June 22nd, 2017 10:51 pm

Nancy Robles
    Grade/Track:12/A
    Mr.Jansen

10. Nicole J. Flores on June 22nd, 2017 11:12 pm

As a former athlete I believe that sports should remain as a sixth period class. Sports allow students to maintain their grades at a high percentage. Sports encourage students to do good in school and get the work done. Having sixth period sports allows students to relax and enjoy school more. Sixth period gives students something to look forward to through out the day.

11. Madeline Flores on June 23rd, 2017 8:43 am

Yes sports should stay! Sports are some students passion, they get play/to do what they love. Students even keep good grades because of being in a sport if you don’t have good grades your cut off so students try to keep their grades up. It should stay as a sixth period because many students would not stay after school for other responsibilities such as work or you have to take care of younger siblings etc.
    Track C
    Grade 12
    Detention hours

12. Carlos Cardenas on June 23rd, 2017 8:50 am

I think it should stay as 6th period because it helps out the students. Some can join a sport and be able to have time to do homework with out stress that they will be staying late and not having enough time to do it after school. It also helps the teachers of theres a 6th period for sports because they will have a conference period where they can have time to catch up with grades. So it will best of if it stays like it is.

Carlos Cardenas 12/A
    For Hours/ Mr. Jassen

13. Aldo Magaña on June 23rd, 2017 10:28 am

I feel the like the school is doing everything in their power to keep the electives and somehow make a compromise with sports because of the athletes. As stated in the article about receiving grants, I agree that is priority because the school needs funds in order to keep the school up and running. Yes it is going to be hard for the athletes; however if they are really dedicated to their sport, then they would stop at nothing and accept the change in order to help the school.
    Aldo Magaña
    Grade: 12 Track: M
    Mr. Jansen

14. Laron Gipson on June 23rd, 2017 10:38 am

In my opinion I feel that sports should stay the way that it is. The reason why is that it helps you keep your grades up because your required to have a certain amount of points to be eligible to play in a sport. It is also good because it would give students another reason to want to pass their classes and it would also help them manage their time better. sports is another way for students to communicate with people, and it also lets students get the exercise they need on a daily bases. By getting rid of sports you are risking a lot and students would be lead to develop bad habits.

Laron Gipson (8/25/99)
    12/B
    For Hours

15. Justin Dueñas on June 23rd, 2017 10:38 am

Personally, I believe that the schedule for the student athletes should remain the way it is. I believe this because sports plays an important part when it comes to maintaining a passing grade because it allows the individual to be eligible to play. This ensures that the students attempt to not only pass every class but also attend every class on time and everyday. Sports motivates countless students to perform there best academically. By dismissing sports you are risking that students will underperform in there classes which can lead to bad habits being formed such as laziness.

Justin Dueñas (06/28/99)
    12/B
    For Hours

16. Jerry Monroy on June 23rd, 2017 10:41 am

In my opinion I believe that student athletes should be given the opportunity to participate in their favorite sports. As we are now becoming young adults we carry on responsibilities and with that comes sacrifices. I would like for 6th period to remain as an elective for those participating in sports.
    Jerry Monroe
    12/B

17. Julian Rocha on June 23rd, 2017 10:46 am

Sports are MANDATORY in a school for teens to connect with peers and others. It also helps teens to get their minds off things that are causing problems in their life, or maybe they just need something to do and a sport is perfect for that. It will also help them build character and self discipline.

18. Jesus Valles on June 23rd, 2017 11:04 am

I think sports should stay because they are an important part of a students day , they get the exercise they need to stay healthy. Being in a sport is like having a second family because you make a special bond with your coach and your team mates. Sports help when your feeling frustrated with something that might be going on in your life, or outside of school. The lack of exercise will impact the students badly because no student wants to spend almost every period sitting down doing work. Some students want to go out and exercise or play basketball or anything that P.e provides.

Jesus Valles
    Track B, Grade 12
    For Hours

19. Jessica Sanchez 12/A hours on June 23rd, 2017 11:11 am

In my opinion sport are a big part of Bell High School. School is a place where we all come and express ourselves in many ways including sports. Just like band or swimming everyone has there own way of being and not the school or anyone has the right to take that from us. Another reason is because sports give athletes the extra boost to have good grades in order to stay in there sport and keep them away from being into other things like drugs etc. Bell High has always been supportive to students beliefs and will continue to be.

20. Nathalie Cruz Track 12B on June 23rd, 2017 11:28 am

i truly believe that 6th period should remain as a sport due to many kids having good grades. Having a 6th period gives students the chance to be active and remain healthy. Being healthy and active makes them get their mind off of things. The athletes put their all into the education system so they deserve a class where its just free time and relaxation.

for hours

21. Evelyn Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:40 am

Sports have should stay. There are many kids now passing and focusing on school because of their sports. It is their motivation to not fall back and just move forward. Some people also are so involved in their sport to stay on a good track in their life. It can keep kids out of trouble in so many ways. Sports brings everyone together as well on Friday nights for people to come out and watch everyone play and have fun. It can get people into scholarships as well and they can keep doing what they love to do by having fun.

Evelyn Gonzalez 12A
    For hours

22. Samantha carlos on June 23rd, 2017 11:42 am

In my opinion I think sports should stay because that is a way many students keep their grades up. Many students join for fun but others join because it is their passion. Sports will also keep these students motivated to continue doing good in their classes. Sports is all about being in track with all your requirements. Any sport is like a regular class , just like you get in trouble in class you also get imtrouble in the sport you play for

23. yahir coraza on June 23rd, 2017 11:48 am

As a former student athlete i believe it is better for sports to remain 6th period. I say this because athletes have other responsibilities other than the sport they already play so balancing both would be difficult if they have to stay longer after school.

24. Rosa Paola Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:49 am

Sports shouldn’t be a bother for teachers because it creates a better mind perspective towards our students to succeed in school. I think the schedule for athletes should remain the way it is due to the fact that it can cause less stress and its just by the end of school. However, it will be a bad idea for sports to be during 7th period because students should be responsible enough to do homework and not fall behind. -Rosa P Gonzalez 12A, Detention hours

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Sports Dilemma

News

Ending with a Win

• Sports Dilemma

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• Sports Dilemma

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• Sports Dilemma

News

AP: Always Pressured

• Sports Dilemma

News

Trash or Cash

• Sports Dilemma

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• Sports Dilemma

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• Sports Dilemma

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

• Sports Dilemma

News

Academic Decathlon Shines

The student news site of Bell High School
Sports Dilemma