The Bell Chimes

North Korea and the U.S.: from Words to War

Valeria Garcia

On Sunday, September 24th, President Trump tweeted something that could put America on the brink of World War III. “Just heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won’t be around much longer!”

While President Trump may not have meant anything much in this tweet, North Korea’s Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho stated that Trump has declared war on the country, and now North Korea is already taking action. As of Tuesday, September 26, North Korea has officially started preparing for war.

Not only are they a threat to us, but other countries as well. If North Korea goes on with the war, many of South Korea’s people, a country they are still technically at war at, will be affected. Furthermore, North Korea has been sending threats of bombs to Japan, saying they will, “…pay for their crimes.”They even went so far as to vow that they will make “nuclear clouds” over Japan. In recent news, a North Korean ship was seized, and it was discovered that the country has been transporting weapons to Egypt as part of a deal between the two countries. The reason for the need of weapons is unknown.

In addition to this information, North Korea now has its own private Internet source. This new connection was provided by Russia, a country Trump was allegedly involved with during the elections. Now, due to this new Internet source, we are no longer able to locate and block Korean hackers. We also have no current way of viewing and knowing just what they are doing.

Above all of this, it appears President Trump is not taking this situation seriously. He claims that North Korea’s threat of nuclear attacks is nothing too serious. In fact, he repeatedly rejects the idea of diplomatic talks with North Korea about the threats, bashing and threatening them even more on Twitter. He has also tweeted to Tillerson, who has been trying to defuse the situation, saying he is “wasting his time”. “I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man…” “…Save your energy Rex, we’ll do what has to be done!” It seems he will not even consider North Korea a threat, despite all of the rising war tensions, as he instead focuses his attention on much less important issues like football players taking the knee, frustrating many. What are your thoughts on this situation? Shouldn’t he be focusing on improving diplomatic relations with North Korea, instead of looking at the “disrespect” of football players?