The Bell Chimes

Aquatic Showdown

The rustling of water, shouts, and whistles hinted the location of the pool located in the back of Marquez High School. Perhaps that was one of the reasons not many people showed up to witness this swim meet. The absence of a large crowd; however, was no reason for either  school to perform poorly.

Daniel Hernandez (11/A), who won all four of his events, said,  “I’m going to continue training harder for my next meet.” In order to do so he, aims to complete his intervals in a shorter amount of time. Although victory is something that these athletes cherish they don’t let that get to their heads.

Cindy Centero (10/M), another champion of the day,  believes that she will be able to continue winning her events because, “the new coaches mean business.” According to Centero, “they tend to take us out of our comfort zone.” Cindy admitted that she was not confident about  one of the events she was given today. Despite this, she managed to win first place in the 50 yard backstroke.

Although these athletes are talented, the guidance from Coach Michael Flores and Assistant Coach Yazandra Martinez was crucial. Marquez’s Varsity Swimmer Dennis Hernandez was surprised when told that the Eagles had not practiced much in the water. He said, “Whatever their coach is doing is good,” but even then Bell should watch out for Roosevelt High School. According to Dennis, Roosevelt is “the toughest team we’ve faced.”

Will the swim team continue to have victories? It is likely that this scenario will continue to happen as long as the team stays focused, and, most importantly, enjoys what they do.

1 Comment

One Response to “Aquatic Showdown”

1. Jesus valles on June 23rd, 2017 9:12 am

If they stay focused and keep practicing to get better then they will continue winning , and because winning is not given it is earned . It also depends on their mentality and how they see their sport if they want to keep winning then they have to stay committed and train harder in order to get better . They are really talented but that talent can be made better if their coaches train them to their full potential , it isn’t up to the coaches if they want to keep their winning streak it’s up to the athletes, they are the ones who can make a change. If they manage to slack off even a bit then they lose their focus therefore causing them to not be 100% ready and that can cost them a win , and nobody likes to lose. They should just stay strong , keep pushing towards greatness and enjoy the sport.

Jesus Valles
    Track B , Grade 12
    For Hours

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Aquatic Showdown

News

Ending with a Win

• Aquatic Showdown

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• Aquatic Showdown

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• Aquatic Showdown

News

AP: Always Pressured

• Aquatic Showdown

News

Trash or Cash

• Aquatic Showdown

News

Sports Dilemma

• Aquatic Showdown

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• Aquatic Showdown

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• Aquatic Showdown

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

The student news site of Bell High School
Aquatic Showdown