The Bell Chimes

Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

Kobe Bryant retired in 2016.  Many Bell High senior athletes are facing their own sports retirement.

Photo courtesy of www.people.com

Kobe Bryant retired in 2016. Many Bell High senior athletes are facing their own sports retirement.

Jonathan DeAnda, Sports Staff Writer

Many sports fans are aware that Kobe retired this year from the Los Angeles Lakers. It was all over the social media and news. Just like Kobe, some Bell High student athletes are also “retiring.”

There are many senior, student athletes  who have participated in a sport for all four years of high school. Since this  is their last year, many of them have  to say goodbye to their teammates and coaches. It is difficult for some students to let go of their team and not practice anymore.

Some students use their sport as a stress reliever or a way to get their mind off of what goes on outside the field, gym, pool, court, etc.

They don’t really know what to do now that they’ve “retired.”

“There’s a silence after school now, I just go home and have nothing to do,” says Ronmel Rugama (12/M) who has competed in cross country and track for all four years of high school.   

Other students are looking forward to their “retirement” and are finally glad that they’re finished with their sports. “Honestly I don’t miss it as much as I thought I would, but when I see a video or picture I miss it a lot,” said Fernando Jimenez (12/M) who played in the football team for four years. A lot of students can agree that it takes a weight off their shoulders when they finish their season. “It’s a bittersweet feeling because I left everything on the field… no regrets,” says Natalie Acosta (12/C) who played softball.

Although the seniors are sad that they’re leaving, they are passing the team on to the new generation of Bell athletes. “I have a lot of hope on my team and they’ll stay good,” said Ruben Garcia.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles”

1. Juan Jose hernandez on June 22nd, 2017 10:34 am

In my experience Kobe left a good impact in the team of lakers and left a very sad impact to the team of leaving and my experience he was a very good laker player and he would always be a laker and as well as bell high school we know that all the bell high school players are leaving and hope that the 9th and the 11th graders are going to be good players
    Juan Jose Hernandez
    Track:A Grade:12
    Mr.janssen

2. Raymond Pacheco on June 23rd, 2017 12:28 am

To whomever created the first ever sport I want to give a big thanks to them. Many people only know Kobe Bryant as a great basketball player, but he is also a mentor to me and to others across the world. As a student that has been playing sports through out the four years of high school, I have to say it has been an honor and pleasure to have been given the the opportunity to play the sport that I love. Without baseball I do not think I have would able to cope with the problems I faced either in high school or off campus. I know i will miss playing ball with my peers, but it was a fun experience while it lasted.

Raymond Pacheco 12/A
    For Hours/ Mr Janssen

3. Jesus Valles on June 23rd, 2017 7:37 am

The new bell athletes can make a big impact on bell sports as much as the ones before them , they just have to set their mind to it , and once they do that they can accomplish anything.
    Jesus Valles
    Track B , Grade 12
    For Hours

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

News

Ending with a Win

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

News

AP: Always Pressured

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

News

Trash or Cash

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

News

Sports Dilemma

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

The student news site of Bell High School
Kobe retires… and so do some Eagles