The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

The Bell Chimes

The Bell Chimes

The Bell Chimes

Tik Tok Fashion Fusion
Tik Tok Fashion Fusion
Leilani Renteria, Editor • January 25, 2024

Trends in the world of TikTok fashion are always changing, combining different styles to create a unique and expressive look. The combination...

Present- Day Concert Experiences
Present- Day Concert Experiences
Evelyn Rodriguez, Eagle writer • January 25, 2024
Climate Change in SoCal
Climate Change in SoCal
Desiree Martinez, Eagle writer • January 25, 2024
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

5 Books We’re Looking Forward to Reading This Year

Happy New Year, readers. 2023 had its ups and downs (mostly downs), but as always, at least it brought us some very good books.
But now that you’ve read all the books last year had to offer, it’s time for a brand-new list.

Here are some books that may catch your attention:

Romance

Jane Austen, Orgullo y Prejuicio -Pride and Prejudice

Throughout a plot that flows with the precision of clockwork, Jane Austen profiles a gallery of characters who make up a perfect yet subtle portrait of the time: the drama of a lady determined to marry off her daughters to the biggest catches in the area, the ups and downs of the sisters, the opportunism of a sweet- talking minister… the outline of the characters and analysis of the human relationships subjected to a rigid code of customs, essential elements of the author’s narrative, reach insurmountable heights of mastery in Pride and Prejudice. “But vanity, not love, has been my folly.”

Alice Kellen, El Mapa De Los Recuerdos -The Map of Desires

A great love story of discoveries, about the life we wish for, beyond what’s expected of us. Grace Peterson was born with a very specific task: to save the life of her gravely ill sister Lucy. The fact that Lucy dies in spite of everything makes Grace’s life lose all meaning. She is a shy girl who has always felt invisible. She’s never left Nebraska, loves to write, and watches the days slowly pass her by. Until one day she discovers a game called The Map of Dreams. According to the instructions, the first thing Grace must do is find some stranger named Will Tucker. They are about to embark on a journey straight to the heart, full of vulnerabilities and forgotten dreams, unexpected longing and affections. But will it be possible to move forward when the secrets begin to weigh too heavily on them? Who is who in this story?

Elisabet Benavent, Un Cuento Perfecto

What happens when you find that an ending to a story is not as you had imagined it would be?
-Once upon a time, there was a girl who had everything, and a boy who had nothing.
-Once upon a time, there was a love story between success and doubt.
-Once upon a time, there was a perfect short story.

Fancy

Rebecca Yarros, Alas de Sangre -The Fourth Wing

Once you enter Basgiath War College, there are only two ways out: graduate or die.

Twenty-year-old Violet was supposed to live a quiet life among books and history. Now, the commanding
general of her kingdom―also known as her mother—has ordered Violet to join the hundreds of candidates
striving to become the elite of Navarre: dragon riders. Basgiath War College is tough. And when you’re smaller than everyone else and your body is brittle, death is only a heartbeat away…because dragons don’t bond to “fragile” humans. They incinerate them. Not to
mention most cadets would kill Violet to better their own chances of success. Outside of the school, the war against the kingdom grows more deadly, the protective wards are failing, and the death toll continues to rise. Even worse, Violet begins to suspect leadership is hiding a terrible secret. To find out what is really happening, she’ll need every edge her wits can give her.

Tracy Wolff, Anhelo –Crave

My whole world changed when I stepped inside the academy. Nothing is right about this place or the other students in it. Here I am, a mere mortal among gods…or monsters. I still can’t decide which of these warring factions I belong to, if I belong at all. I only know the one thing that unites them is their hatred of me. Then there’s Jaxon Vega. A vampire with deadly secrets who hasn’t felt anything for
a hundred years. But there’s something about him that calls to me, something broken in him that somehow fits with what’s broken in me. Which could spell death for us all. Because Jaxon walled himself off for a reason. And now someone wants to wake a sleeping monster, and I’m wondering if I was brought here intentionally―as the bait.